Hi There! Boy, have I been in the Spirit of Learning lately. From last week’s event @FunFearlessLife to stocking my personal library of books to read, I am in the whirlwind of knowledge and I can’t help but want to find the center of it! Knowledge is Power people! The saying is true. And so I would like to share with you a book I just finished: Joel Osteen’s “You Can, You Will”. Amazing read. The book focuses on 8 qualities of a Winner, The Winner in You. I really hope you get as much out of this as I did, or at least you will have about 6 months worth of Facebook statuses you can use! Don’t forget to give credit to Mr. Osteen! ( http://www.joelosteen.com ) See below on the main highlights straight from his book, that will stick with me forever:
1) Keep Your Vision In Front of You – Proverbs 29:18 “Where there is no vision, the people perish;”
- Studies tell us that we move toward what we consistently see.
- All over your house, you should have pictures that inspire you, scripture verses that encourage you, mementos that strengthen your faith.
- When you see something long enough it gets into your subconscious mind. It eventually drops down into your spirit. That’s when you Know it’s going to happen.
Bible Reference: The Story of Abraham – God gave him a vision – The stars, which symbolize how many descendents he will have. Through waiting and maybe sometimes doubt, he had this symbol to look up to and keep encouraged. And then it came to pass. Many generations did indeed grow from Abraham.
2) Run Your Own Race
- Be true to who God wants you to be.
- Don’t look to the left or to the right. You’re not really free until you are free from trying to please everyone. Don’t miss your destiny by trying to please others.
- Don’t love the praise of people more than you love the praise of God. Be secure in who you are that you don’t have to live for their praise.
- If you try to keep every person happy, the one person that will not be happy is you.
- There are four types of people that may be in your life:
- Those who Lift You – Brighten up your day, make you feel better about yourself.
- Those who Thrust You – Inspire you, motivate your dreams.
- Those who Weigh You Down – Dump their problems on you.
- Those who Drag You – The one always singing the sad song.
- Make sure your spending the majority of your times with the lifters and thrusters. Pray for the others.
3) Expect Good Things – Expect to be a Winner
- Our expectations set the limits for our lives.
- People don’t realize that they’re always looking for the next disaster. Change what you’re looking for.
- One definition of Hope: Happy anticipation of something good.
- Be careful on what you allow to play in your thoughts all day.
- Be proactive and don’t replay over and over the bad memories, change the channel, remember your accomplishments, the things God has brought you through.
- When you forget what you should be remembering, it can keep you out of your Promised Land. Psalm 78:11 “They forgot what he had done, the wonders he had shown them.”
- Quit focusing on what is wrong with you and focus on the right! You won’t ever become all you were created to be if you’re against yourself.
Bible Reference: In the Old Testament, God commanded His people to have certain feasts and certain celebrations. One of the main reasons was so they would remember what He had done.
4) Have a Positive Mind-Set – Colossians 3:2 “Set your mind on the higher things and keep it set.”
- Every day we choose our attitudes. Life will go much better if we simply decide to be positive. Choose to be happy.
- Your happiness Is all about your Approach to Life.
- A negative attitude WILL limit your life.
- It’s not your circumstances that make you negative; it’s your attitude about those circumstances.
- When you have a positive mind-set you cannot be defeated. No matter what comes your way, you shake it off and keep moving ahead.
- Keep your hopes up! Psalm 112:4 “When darkness overtakes the righteous, light will come bursting in.”
- Life is passing you by, don’t let the time waste being negative!
Bible Reference: The Story of Daniel – Daniel was a good man, but had bad circumstances. He was thrown in the lion’s den for being obedient to God. God closed the mouths of the lions!
5) Commit To Excellence – Daniel 6:3 “Daniel so distinguished himself by his exceptional qualities that the king planned to put him over the whole kingdom.”
- God Blesses Excellence – Do your best whether anyone is watching or not because He is.
- Don’t just meet the minimum requirements; you go the extra mile. Matthew 5:41 “If a soldier demands you carry his gear one mile, carry it two miles.”
- When you are an excellent person, you don’t get stagnant. You’re always taking steps to improve.
- Excellence in everything – getting to work on time, the cleanliness of your household, what we wear.
- We all have different styles. There is no right wrong. The main thing is to present yourself in a way that you’re proud of.
6) Keep Growing – Proverbs 22:29 “Do you see a person skilled in their work? They will stand before kings and great men.”
- Winners Never Stop Learning.
- Learning is not something you do for a period of life; it is a way of life.
- Don’t go to the grave with your buried treasure.
- Everyone should have a personal growth plan. Every day we should have a goal to grow. Proverbs 18:16 “A mans gift makes room for him and brings him before the great.”
- Grow by having good Mentors – There are people all around us whom God put in out paths on purpose so we can gain wisdom, insight, experience.
- Your skills have to be developed. Every day you spend learning you are preparing for your new level. You have to be ready to step into those shoes.
Bible Reference: The Story of Joseph – He started off at the very bottom, as a slave because he was sold by his brothers. He developed his gifts, made himself valuable. So valuable that he was eventually put in charge of the master’s house.
7) Serve others – As you Lift Others, God Will Lift You
- That’s when you have true happiness, true fulfillment. You live not to receive but to give.
- Every time you serve God sees it. You are doing it unto God.
- You are never too big to serve, never too important, never too influential.
- It will give you a satisfaction money cant buy. You’ll find a peace, a joy, a strength, and a fulfillment that only God can give. John 4:32 “I have food that you know nothing about.”
- This can be done by simply speaking kind words, offering compliments, giving other encouragement.
Bible Reference: The Story of Jesus – He bowed down and washed His disciples’s feet.
8) Stay Passionate – 2Timothy 1:6 “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God”
- Studies show that enthusiastic people get better breaks.
- Don’t let your life become ordinary. We should live in amazement at what God has done.
- We all face difficulties. “Trouble is inevitable, but misery is optional.”
- Learn to travel light.
- If you’re not passionate, you go from living to merely existing.
I really hope you all enjoyed this! I suggest purchasing this book and taking inventory of your life. Go through each quality, spend some time dissecting it, thinking about it and writing your thoughts down. Then begin your new life with this very motto – “I Can. I Will”!!