First and foremost I just want to say how inspiring it was for me to attend this event. It was exactly what I needed and I am so excited to share this as my first post and with all of you readers at that!
But before we get to the nitty gritty of it all – please see my outfits for Day 1 & Day 2 below.
When I think of going on event that circulates on Women Empowerment – what comes to mind is the fact that I am most likely going to be around Strong Powerful Women and so I want to impose that I am serious through the clothing that I wear. I also thought to myself, well if I want the part I have to be the part. I chose two outfits that in my opinion gave me the confidence to stand among such pioneers and also spoke my confidence without having to say a word. As you will read below your fashion does speak before you even do and your stance also speaks volumes and so I, ever so humbly, held my head high and walked into the Lincoln Center feeling all kinds of Fabulousness.
Serious Monochrome – Blazer Dress @ Venus.com / B&W @ Enzo Angiolini / BriefCase Bag @ Target
Sweet Business – Pleather Skirt @ Boohoo.com / Plaid/Foral Blouse @ Bohohoo.com / Silver T-Straps @ Steve Madden
#PinUp Hair & MakeUp done by dear friend Margarita How To Instructions: youtube.com/user/sadieglam / @SadieGlam_ _ _ / SadieGlam24@gmail.com
The event was so much fun and had many perks by #Express & #Maybelline. You can find these pictures on my Instagram Page @DeeLovelyDiaries . Hit that Like button and any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for reading dolls!
The event was spearheaded by #Cosmopolitan Magazine and was named the Fun Fearless Life Event. It was split into 5 sessions of different panels from all scopes of people who actually pushed through the Fear and are now living out their dreams despite any negatives and any hurdles that may have come their way.
Each session had a group of Panelists – below are the ones that spoke to me and my takeaways:
Sara Blakely – Creator of Spanx “Thank God for Cellulite”
- It takes two things to be successful: Attitude & Drive
- These are the only two things you have full control over. It is even more important than what school you went to, who you know, and how you look. If you have the right attitude and drive you will get where you need to be.
Julie Greenwald – President of Island Records, began her career in Def Jam Records
- No job is too small or too big.
- There is no punching clock when you are on your career path.
Sallie Krawcheck – Ellevate Network
- Don’t waste your energy in feeling outnumbered by the number of men in your industry. Instead use it to your advantage and be strategic in a male dominated position.
Megyn Kelly – The Kelly Files on FOX News
- Pay attention to your “A-HA” moment.
Dr. Meg Jay – Author of Defining the Decade: Why your Twenties Matter and How to Make the Most of Them Now
- Make something out of your weak ties! A weak tie is someone you are not good friends with. 75% of your opportunities come from a contact that you don’t know well.
- Look for those people who are different and distant because there are weaknesses in Strong Ties:Yes, they are the most supportive, your similarity with them breeds connection but you are limiting yourself, it is like you are locked in the same room together.
- The time is now to network and move beyond your circle. Social networks narrow as you get older! Start connecting.
Amy Cuddy – Social Psychologist; Professor @ Harvard Business School
- Body Language – yes it’s important beyond your instagram pictures!
- How we pose says so much about ourselves and what message we want to put out there. Unfortunately off camera we forget about these poses but you must remember someone is always watching. You don’t want to be sluggish in an important job interview right so what does Amy Cuddy suggest? – Power Posing
- Power Posing is a stance that makes you feel powerful. Superman, or in our case Wonder Women superhero pose comes to mind or the victory pose as we see many times in competitive arenas. She suggests power posing before interviews or even before tackling on your day. If you start you day off in a good mood, it makes you smile and then you remain in a good mood. Maybe this seems odd for you to randomly pose like this, even in your most private times, she also suggests standing up straight. Tiny tweaks such as this one can make the biggest changes.
Dick Costolo – CEO of Twitter
- Keep it Authentic
- You don’t have to worry about ones expectations!
Grace Helbig – You Tube Sensation – Creator of It’s Grace
- Celebrate your imperfections
- Do not think of what is popular for everyone else. Do it for you first.
Adam Rosante – Fitness Expert @ CosmoBody
- Decide what you want, get a crystal clear goal, focus on that goal.
- Work backwards to “reverse engineer” your success with small daily tasks.
- These actionable small tasks ignites motivation for you to keep going.
Kelly Osborne – Creator of Stories Clothing Line
- Learn to Love Yourself!
- Living lives we think we should more than the way we want is not the way to live. You are settling by living by someone else’s rules.
Jillian Michaels – Author of Slim for Life
- Find the middle ground between desperation and denial & overflow and bingeing.
- Be informed. Knowledge empowers you.
MD Jennifer Ashton – Author of Your Body Beautiful
- Your success starts from taking charge of your health and well-being.
Jason Silva – Host of Brain Games
- Overcome limitations. Listen to your inner thoughts intuition.
- Use Technology to extend your reach.
Alexa Von Tobel – Author of Financially Fearless
- When asking for a raise at work it is important to show your boss your career path in three easy points:
- State your accomplishments
- Show what you are currently working on
- Ask to take on more responsibility
Joanna Coles – Editor-in-Chief of US Cosmopolitan Magazine
- Encourages us to create our own brand and point of view through Social Media.
- Keep your energy high.
- When your on a job interview your goal is to reinforce the interviewer you can get the job done.
Elizabeth Crystal – Chief Marketing Officer @ Express
- Dress for the Job you Want.
- Be appropriate in every situation.
- Own Your Look. Make it apart of your personality.
- Your fashion speaks before you.
Nina Vaca – Creator of Pinnacle Group
- Surround yourself with role models – You can’t be what you can’t see.
Gabrielle Bernstein – New York Times Best Selling Author; Founder of HerFuture.com
- Do not be addicted to the pretense of “Fabulousness”.
- Witness what is going on around you and take note of what you need to change. What is holding you back from your honest truth?
- After you hold yourself accountable to change, focus on Joy.
- Having Joy Increases Your Chances Of Success!
Now I am sure after having reading all of this, just as I felt after hearing all of this, that you are feeling Powerful & Fearless. The time is now! Lets start living our Fun Fearless Life!